Department of Production Engineering
Address for Correspondence:
Dr. Prakash Kumar
Department of Production Engg
BIT Sindri, P.O.: Sindri Institute, Sindri
Dist: Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India PIN: 828123
Phone: +91-9431340536, +91-8809274758
Overview of the department
The Department of Production Engineering, first in Asia, was started in the year 1955. A multidisciplinary academic program comprises of 54 intakes to the four years B. Tech. program in Production Engineering. The department has established links with the industries, R&D organizations, consultancy organizations and academic institutes in the region in furtherance of the cause of manufacturing engineering. The faculty members are also actively engaged in the R & D and have large number of publications.
The main objective of production engineering is integration of technology with management in planning and controlling the design, development and operation of manufacturing system in accordance with recent technology.
The curriculum of Production engineering encompasses the contents of engineering materials, casting technology, machining technology, physical and mechanical joining processes, tool design, metrology, manufacturing automation and rapid prototyping. In a typical industry, once the design is realized, production engineering concepts regarding work-study, ergonomics, operation research, tooling, manufacturing management, materials management, production planning, transportation etc., play important roles in efficient production processes.
To Become a Centre of Repute Striving Continuously Towards Providing Quality Education, Research and innovation in the Field of Production and Industrial Management.
- To provide quality education at both undergraduate and post graduate levels.
- To produce engineering graduates to meet the demands of industries and R&D organizations.
- To emphasize on integrating manufacturing technology with industrial management.
- To impart latest technological knowledge to students by continuous development of curricula and faculty.
- To contribute to the country and the society at large by enhancing the interaction between academia and industries.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
PEO1: To comprehend the fundamentals of production and industrial engineering to solve engineering problems
PEO2: To produce skilled and competent graduates capable of facing the challenges of real business world and engineering practices.
PEO3: To facilitate the acquisition of essential skills such as: analysis, synthesis, problem solving and critical thinking to industrial problems.
PEO4: To develop an attitude for continuous learning and aspiration to excel in all endeavor.
PEO5: To improve interpersonal skill, team spirit and employability while believing on the ethical values.
Program Specific Objectives (PSO)
PSO1: Graduates will be able to apply knowledge of manufacturing science and industrial engineering concepts for product, design and development.
PSO2: Graduate will be able to optimize production system design parameters like cost, time, and resources and eliminate redundant steps to make the best method of production.
PSO3: Graduate will be able to implement modern tools and techniques of manufacturing and industrial management to meet the challenges of real business world.
Objectives of the Department of Production Engineering
- To develop the curriculum beyond the regular hour to impart practical real life training to the students and teachers. To arrange seminar, symposium, expert/guest lectures etc on regular basis to expose students and teachers in the current trend.
- Pursue research interests of manufacturing and industrial engineering
Strengths of the Department
- The students are trained through the program and will be well equipped with quantitative techniques of management decisions coupled with the knowledge of recent & newly developed technology, computer applications, so that they will be capable for significant contribution to industries, business and Govt. organization at all levels of decision making.
The students are present around the globe. The students are recruited by industries in almost all PSU’s, Manufacturing industries, FMCG Consultancies and Financial firms and IT/ Software services.
Some of the companies that have recruited the students are:
PSU’s: IOCL, SAIL, NTPC, BARC, Coal India, ONGC.
Manufacturing/FMCG: Schlumberger, ITC, Bosch, Tata Motors, Tata Steel, Daimler, Electrosteel, Maruti and Suzuki, TVS, Hero Motocorp, Danieli, Hindalco, Ispat, etc.
Finance/Insurance: Deutsche Bank, Capital One, American Express, Goldman Sachs, CitiBank, Capital Dynamics, Credit Suisse, HSBC etc.
IT/Software services/Consultancy/Analytics: HT media analytics, Essex lake group, JDA, IBM, Oracle, ZS Associates, PWC, Wipro, Impetus, Cognizant, Egain, TCS, HCL, Infosys, Opera solutions, Deloitte, Ernst and Young, Capgemini , Genpact, Byte Consulting, Sapient, etc.
The students also get exposure by attending various events and seminars organized round the year. Some of the events and seminars that are organized are:
- Production Engineering Society
- “PRODYOTSAV”- Event organized by the Department.
- To get some hands on experience, students are taken to various industries nearby.
- SAE-Society of Automotive Engineers for the design, manufacturing, operation, and maintenance of automobiles designed by Mechanical and Production Engineering Department..
- Tech fest has events dedicated to Production/Industrial engineering.
- Electrochemical Machine
- Electro discharge Machine
- Rapid drill
- CNC Wire Cut EDM
- Industrial ROBOT
- The Department is having a modern conference hall
- Research in the field of Rapid Prototyping CMM and FMS
- Production society organizes regular national seminars symposiums and guest lectures
- Industrial tours are organized to SAIL, TATA, DVC, HEC etc
- Metrology Lab
- TMCF Lab
- Ergonomics and Work Study Lab
- Welding Lab
- Production Workshop
- Tool Designing Lab
- Computer Lab (Set up by Siemens)
- CAD/CAM Lab (Set up by Siemens)
- FMS & Robotics Lab (Set up by Siemens)
- Mechanics Lab (Mechanical Engineering Dept.)
- MOS/KOM Lab (Mechanical Engineering Dept.)
- Fluid Mechanics Lab (Mechanical Engineering Dept.)
|List of Faculty Members|
|SN||Name||Designation||Phone No.||Email ID|
|01.||Dr. Prakash Kumar||Associate Professor||
# Click on the name for Curriculum vitae.